Thursday, November 25, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving from A Book of Cookrye!

 Well it seems like we've collectively decided that the pandemic is over-ish. It also seems a lot of my friends and acquaintances are having merry gatherings with their also-vaccinated nearest and dearest, and we at A Book of Cookrye are no exception. This year, we were asked to make the rolls to go with dinner. Which we did. The entire batch was perfect on top. But if you turned them over, you could see a perfect demonstration of how unevenly the oven cooks.

That is not a shadow over the pan.

 

If you're not the person saying "I spent all night waiting for these to rise!" you might think it's really neat to see such a perfect gradient from lightly browned to a perfect charcoal black.

I thought about severing the tops of the burnt ones and turning them into croutons or something, but for once I just threw them out. This caused much relief in a household that has seen some increasingly suspicious attempts to repurpose culinary failures.

I think it's a pretty appropriate way to launch the first (not-)post-pandemic holiday season! Remember friends, get vaxxed if you haven't, and wear masks when you make pit stops during any long drive!

3 comments:

  1. I moved to a new apartment a couple of months ago. I still haven't tried out the oven because I fear it may do something like that. I also know that it's not level and the people who lived here before didn't clean anything. I started a list of no bake holiday treats, and have been trying to make everything in my instant pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of getting an instant pot, but so far we haven't had the nerve. I'm curious what to hear what you find because my short knowledge of no-bake things begins with those chocolate-oatmeal cookies and ends with recipes that involve a double boiler. That and the one time we dabbled in steamed puddings.

      Delete
    2. Honestly the holiday treats are more of the saucepan with a candy thermometer, or mash together butter, peanut butter and powdered sugar and roll into balls before dipping in chocolate. I figure pretty much anything can get dipped in chocolate. Giant marshmallows with a chocolate jacket dipped in chopped nuts or sprinkles, or just plain. You can use the IP to bake small cakes or a few muffins. They have to be covered with foil when you cook them, but it's a nice way to make an individual serving of dessert. Its been a while, but I would mix 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cake mix with a little water and "bake" it in a small pan. There are recipes all over the internet for these lovely little treats.

      Delete