Sunday, August 3, 2014

Carrot Cake IX: in which we just start adding carrots to stuff

After the carrot brownies failed to become brownies, I thought about it and decided that the idea of a carrot cake in brownie form seemed like it'd be really good if it turned out. I started with a recipe for blondies. There's little to say about the making of. But I think that the pictures, though no better than any of the others I've put up, seem oddly prettier.

Carrot Blondies
¼ c butter
¼ c shortening
2 c light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1½ c flour
3 pulverized carrots
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a layer pan.
Melt butter and shortening. Add the brown sugar. When mixed, beat in the eggs. Then, stir in the baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the flour, then stir in the carrots.
Spread in the pan and bake for 35 minutes.

Don't they look healthy already?
However, I could go on for a lot longer about how much I love blondies. I think they're just as good as brownies. They also go over really well whenever I bring them anywhere.
I usually stop at this point and eat some. If you don't, I'm very sorry.

In theory, this will translate to a carrot cake but with that dense, gooey texture of brownies. I also figured if nothing else, it'll be good however it turns out.
Eggs!

Everything measured by the spoon!


And it's blondie batter!

Had I stopped here and baked it, it'd have been absolutely wonderful. But today, I did this.
I feel slightly guilty about this.
It ended up with a sort of brownie top-crust in the middle, so I thought it might have worked.
I need a more subtle doneness-testing implement.
Then I sliced it and... it's a cake!?
It's fluffy and everything!
It was a few shakes of this and that away from being a dang good spice cake. It was really light, delicate, and nice. Although I am really confused by the reaction when I offered some to a friend. He liked it a lot, but thought there was oatmeal in it from the taste. Now I'm trying to figure out where that came from...

No comments:

Post a Comment