Sunday, October 30, 2022

Halloween Quickie: Candy Corn and Salted Peanuts

It's the most wonderful time of the year! A celebration of spiders, graves, skeletons, and lots and lots of candy! This brings us to one of my favorite treats of the season: candy corn and salted peanuts!

You don't need me to write out the recipe for this one.

We had a surprisingly hard time making this because candy corn was unexpectedly elusive this year. Would you believe the supermarket didn't have any? They had happy little cardboard candy corn mascots holding up the price signs, but not a bag of those sugary wax-kernels in the entire building. We ended up getting our candy corn from a pharmacy.

Which brings us to candy corn and salted peanuts. Even if you don't like candy corn, this is just really good. Candy corn by itself is... well, it's okay. But if you mix candy corn with peanuts, you get something far better than either of the two featured ingredients could ever be on their own. The sweet-salty, waxy-crunchy contrast is perfect. Set it out at your Halloween party, or just make some for yourself. Thank me later. 

And so, with fondest wishes on the best day of the year, happy Halloween from A Book of Cookrye! Please enjoy my favorite ode to the most polarizing candy of the season:



2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I ate candy corn. I don't think that I have ever even purchased candy corn. Who is buying up all the candy corn, and is there some prank involving it that I don't know about? At least you can put marshmallow peeps in the microwave with toothpick swords and have them duel to the finish. You can probably guess where I stand on candy corn (and marshmallow peeps).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that gritty crust on Peeps makes for really good smores, but I've never done it. If we ever light the fireplace I might give it a go.

      Delete