Thursday, July 31, 2014

Carrot Cake VIII: You call these brownies?

Today we present the 8th carrot cake recipe I've perpetrated. Unlike Henry VIII who couldn't keep a wife's head attached, I'm just pulverizing more vegetable roots!

Carrot "Brownies"
¼ c butter
¾ c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp salt
1 c whole wheat flour
about 1 c shredded carrots (4 of them)

Heat oven to 350°. Grease a square pan.
Mix butter and brown sugar, beat in egg. Stir in baking powder and salt, and when mixed add the flour. Mix in the carrots last.
Pour into the pan and bake 30 minutes.
source

I usually like to make recipes out of books that have somehow or other made their way into my hands- looking up something specific just doesn't have the same element of surprise. But we at A Book of Cookrye have exhausted all the carrot cake recipes we have! So, hoping for brownies, we turned up this.

My carrots are hairy.

After this inadvertent (and surprisingly long!) series of carrot cakes, I really want to start a series on something I really like. Maybe brownies? Cheesecakes? Ice creams? Although if I'm going to do 8 recipes of the same thing, I want it to be something with a lot of room for variation. Although I do think I've found out why so many people don't like carrot cake: most recipes are terrible. Check out the overlap between the carrot cake and disappointing tags. And most of the carrot cakes sold are crammed full of walnuts despite no one I know liking walnuts in cakes. 
A cutting board of carrot hairs.

Since the carrots are sprouting anyway, I planted one in the yard. It looks to be doing better than the sprouted garlic bulbs which turned into stringy looking plants and then died.
If nothing else, most carrot cakes are really quick to mix up.

Partway through, I realized we'd run out of white flour.

Now it's good for you!

I actually had really high hopes this would turn into brownies. As with one or two brownie recipes
I really like, this ended up really thick.

However, we ended up with cake.
It's fluffy and everything.
It was kind of spongy, but it was a decent cake nonetheless. The wheat flour went surprisingly well with it. It was kind of bland, but a quick addition fixed that:

Peanut butter is good on so many things. One of my friends, while pregnant, took to eating slices of ham spread with it. I thought it was weird, but in its own way, it's really good. With that in mind, spreading it right out of the jar onto carrot cake is really normal. And honestly, while it's not at all brownies and not that great of a cake, with whole wheat flour it was really nice to have in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment